Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fitting In

The other day some friends and I were talking about fitting in the norm of America. You must get married and shortly after have kids, raise them, have grand kids, and as one women put it "then die". After this conversation I have decided I will never fit in anywhere. When I was young I fit in most of the time but being raised in a Christian family made me different. I wasn't always able to do things that many of my friends did, which was fine with me, most of the time. Then I found my husband in high school when most of my friends were single. Again, I had a serious boyfriend and didn't fit in.
After high school was college where I didn't party like a lot of new friends I made and was starting to think about marriage. I got married at 21 which was not normal for my age. None of my friends understood what it was like and I tried to make new ones but the married ones were older. So now I find the married ones but I didn't fit in because I was so young.
I am now 27 with friends my age who are married and older friends who are married. I thought I was starting to fit in until they all started having kids. Here I am again not fitting in.
The one thing I remember about not fitting in and liking it was in high school when I had my "own" style of dress. I got made fun of at times but I never wanted to see someone with the same clothes as me and I liked it that way. Now that I don't fit in because I don't have kids I need to find something that will make me like it.
The one good thing about not fitting in is I have a lot of freedom, which I will give up in a heart beat to have kids. I am a part of a secret society of women that only me and them can understand. Like my grandma said "you have always wanted to be different". This is true but do I really want to be different like this? Not really but I will embrace it for now.

No comments: